Brief History of Alpha Psi:
In 1906, veterinary students at Ohio State University saw the benefits of fraternal life but were frustrated by the lack of a national organization for their profession. After much study and work, 22 juniors and seniors founded Alpha Chapter of Alpha Psi Fraternity.
The preamble to the Alpha Psi Fraternity constitution reads as follows:
"We, students of the College of Veterinary Medicine of the Ohio State University, in order to promote a stronger bond between the veterinary colleges of the United States and Canada, to create a better feeling among the students of all veterinary colleges, and to infuse a deeper interest in the study of veterinary science, do hereby establish this constitution for the ALPHA PSI, the national veterinary fraternity."
The constitution was written in 1907, and the objectives stated then are appropriate today. Alpha Psi Fraternity is a social-professional fraternity, which restricts its active membership to students who are enrolled in a school of veterinary medicine. It provides an opportunity for the development of lasting friendship between individuals in different classes or schools and is dedicated to the development of these individuals to better serve the veterinary profession.